.




Change the channel: Blog | MySpace | YouTube | My 360's Blog | Facebook | YouthMinistry.com | SimplyYouthMinistry.com

 



The Texting Generation

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to DownloadYouthMinistry.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

Larry Davis has some good insight on texting and student ministry today in his new article, too. Here's an excerpt, I think it's worth the read:

We also need to teach our students to take a Sabbath break! They do not need to be constantly plugged in. I get texts sometimes from students at 2AM and when I forget to turn my phone off my wife is the one that I am answering to! I recently did a Sunday message on this and asked the students to do a “texting fast” for one week. Many complained that they just could not do it! I told them that if they could not then that cell phone had too high of a priority in their life. Instead of texting that week they just needed to pick the phone up and call someone. Many students told me that their friends would not answer when they called because it was just too personal and time consuming when the called instead of texting. While it was tough it helped them understand that the only thing which we should be completely dependant on is Christ.

Lastly, I would encourage parents to limit the amount of air time a student gets. This helps monitor how much texting is being done and also helps them to take those needed breaks. In a recent student survey at our church a student recorded that they sent over 4,800 texts in two weeks! There are so many more areas to touch on this subject and I could go on and on. What is really important is that you are made aware of this issue and you help compensate for the downfalls by enhancing personal student to student interaction. If you have any questions, please feel free to text me (LOL)!

JG


posted by Unknown @ 12:28 PM |

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to MoreThanDodgeball.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

1 Comments:

At 7/17/2007, Blogger Dan said...

LARRY! That's my boss :) Thanks for the post Josh. We just had a pretty intense lesson on this with students and parents alike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home