.




Change the channel: Blog | MySpace | YouTube | My 360's Blog | Facebook | YouthMinistry.com | SimplyYouthMinistry.com

 



Being Self Aware: Volume 1

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to DownloadYouthMinistry.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

I'm calling this "volume 1" because I think I might have stumbled on a series of blog posts I might continue as I uncover a problem area in my life. Over this past weekend with friends I've tried to be more self-aware of my own inadequacies and shortcomings, and found a few I want to work on. Here's the start of my list:
1 - I like to talk about problems. Instead of taking it to someone who could help make the problem go away, I seek out people that share the same opinion so we can wallow together. I love to share my frustration with others and rile them up, even taking someone else's small problem, citing a few other examples, in the end making something relatively small very big. The pea under the mattress is uncomfortable, but should we burn down the whole kingdom?

2 - I like to deflect conversation to make it more about me. It's easy to move general conversation contributions to outright self-adulation, taking what should be natural flow of a talk and misdirecting into something that ends with a compliment to me or at least you feeling bad for me. It's all about me, and that's sad.

3 - Convenience is my best friend. If something that is supposed to be convenient for me becomes inconvenient, I get truly frustrated. Simple example: when the printer at the "pay at the pump" is out of paper and I have to go inside to get a receipt. Granted, it was -600 degrees in Indianapolis last weekend, but still. Complex example: why do I look to other people to get up first and serve me, instead of jumping up to serve them?
OK, enough of that! I'm sure the temptation would be to use the comment field as a place to share my many other weaknesses and blind spots - but I would suggest you don't use it for that, since then it wouldn't really be "self" aware, would it?

So there you go.

JG

posted by Unknown @ 11:21 AM |

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to MoreThanDodgeball.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home