.




Change the channel: Blog | MySpace | YouTube | My 360's Blog | Facebook | YouthMinistry.com | SimplyYouthMinistry.com

 



Book Review: The Rest of God

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to DownloadYouthMinistry.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

Got this book as a gift for being a venue pastor at Saddleback this past year, and I was pretty excited to read it. Everyone was raving as they opened up the gifts and the concept of rest and sabbath is always a good conversation to have. Since I didn't want this to end up ironically on the "I don't have time to read" shelf, I dug in.

The book is pretty good - I honestly would recommend What Matters Most from Fields over on Simply Youth Ministry much more, that is a far quicker read and gets to the point a little faster - plus, it's written specifically with youth workers in mind. The Rest of God does take into account the pressures of ministry and how often we collapse at the end of a weekend and eventually are forced to retire to escape the pressures anmd accumulation of day-to-day ministry. That I get, and the book if anything is encouraging in the pursuit of a balanced life that is continually in rest, peace and dependency on God.

All in all an important concept I appreciate, but not a book I'm going to be recommending like it was recommended to me. C+

And sorry I can't give this away to one of the commenters on the post as I typically would - it has a nice message on the inside from the person who gifted it to me, so I need to keep this one. Maybe next time!

JG

posted by Unknown @ 12:10 AM |

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to MoreThanDodgeball.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

1 Comments:

At 1/08/2007, Blogger Folkestad said...

I'll comment even though there isn't a free book coming my way! J/k. I need to pick up a copy of Doug's book! I was actually thinking about getting The Rest of God, looks like I should go with Doug's first. Thanks man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home