.




Change the channel: Blog | MySpace | YouTube | My 360's Blog | Facebook | YouthMinistry.com | SimplyYouthMinistry.com

 



A Heart Like David

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to DownloadYouthMinistry.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

Tony Steward wrote an excellent article on 'Being David When You Serve Under Saul" that all in youth ministry should read. Good stuff. Here's a clip from pdymcommunity.com:

I believe that there are some of us who have the profound opportunity to follow under great leaders, and learn from their wisdom and experience, be inspired by their profound faith and grace with others, and submit to being refined by their sharp and watchful eyes. I believe most of us would leap at the chance to be under a great leader, to learn from them and grow under their mentorship and encouragement.

But, for most of us that is not the case. For many of us our most profound lessons in leadership come from seeing what one shouldn’t do versus what one should do. We see selfish motivation spoken with spiritual language, we see manipulation and control where freedom should be encouraged, and we see insecurity and intimidation where we should see encouragement and confidence.

I have recently had a glaring example of that kind of experience that I would equate to 1 Samuel 18:9-11: “And from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David. … while David was playing the harp, as he usually did. Saul had a spear in his hand and he hurled it, saying to himself, ‘I'll pin David to the wall.’ But David eluded him twice.

Now, before I go any further, this is not the bitter whining of a rightly whipped boy. All of us have weaknesses, and areas that we can drastically improve in – and it would always behoove us to be open to appropriate criticism and accountability. Needless to say, my recent experience falls on both sides of that fence and my hope is that I can share with you some of the lessons I have learned that have helped me to wade out to a positive and constructive resolution.

JG

posted by Unknown @ 10:47 PM |

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to MoreThanDodgeball.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home