.




Change the channel: Blog | MySpace | YouTube | My 360's Blog | Facebook | YouthMinistry.com | SimplyYouthMinistry.com

 



Q&A: Mission Trip Dilema

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to DownloadYouthMinistry.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

This could be a fun series of posts - I've noticed a few extra emails coming in from the blog and thought maybe than just answer/share experience via email I would also post it here somewhat anonymously on the blog. Not that I'm an expert, but love to bounce stuff off of each other in community. Agree with the answer? Got another opinion? Post a comment then!
Question: I've got a kid who's coming to our summer mission trip that maybe isn't a Christian and when asked why he wanted to go, said, "Because I want to see a foreign country." Should we let him go on the trip with the youth group?

Answer: Hey xxxxxxx, appreciate the email – dealt with this before and learned some hard lessons. I’ll try to be direct with this: If you haven’t set guidelines before the trip or he meets all of them – well, you should let him go. Next year, learn from this and either a) still welcome anyone who meets the requirements for the trip and b) make the requirements much higher than this year. Who knows what God will do – obviously he isn’t the typical “target” for this type of trip, but celebrate it, God is up to something! Let me know how it goes ...
JG



posted by Unknown @ 2:36 PM |

SimplyJosh.com has now moved to MoreThanDodgeball.com - follow this link to visit the new site with new posts everyday!

1 Comments:

At 5/10/2007, Blogger Chris Day said...

Josh I think there is some great wisdom in your response to this person. I agree that if there were no specific requirements of being a believer to go on the trip but they finish all of the "prep work" then they should be allowed to go. If they don't then they don't go. Then next year make the requirements stiffer.

Also it depends on the mission trip. Soup kitchens and work camps I would definitely let a non-believer go no problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home